Brooke is a Partner of Karas LLP. She is a dispute resolution specialist with experience representing clients in a broad range of complex, cross-border, commercial disputes.
A substantial part of Brooke’s practice involves applications for interim relief, including obtaining urgent injunctions and disclosure orders in the context of fraud and asset recovery. She also has significant cross-border enforcement experience including in relation to both court and arbitration proceedings.
Brooke regularly advises clients on claims arising from large corporate collapses, shareholder, joint venture and contractual disputes, including within the construction and infrastructure sectors.
Her experience covers both litigation and arbitration, including ad hoc and administered arbitrations conducted under the procedural rules of various institutions.
Clients appreciate Brooke’s commercial acumen and her pragmatic, solutions driven advice. She has lived and worked in Hong Kong for over 16 years and understands the opportunities and risks of doing business in Asia.
Brooke has been recognized by AsiaLaw as a Leading Lawyer (2017) and Rising Star (2015), and was included in Asian Legal Business (ALB) inaugural “40 under 40” list showcasing the brightest legal minds in the Asia region (2015).
Brooke is Co-Chair of WILHK (Women in Law Hong Kong), and is a passionate advocate for gender equity.
Representing the liquidators of China Medical, a Cayman Islands NASDAQ listed medical technology company, which collapsed following the alleged theft of US$500m by senior management. Cross-jurisdictional asset freezing orders have been obtained in support of proceedings against former management/associates, to prevent risk of dissipation.
Representing a litigation trust created following the collapse and reorganisation of a former Canadian-listed company that purported to own forest assets in Mainland China, including pursuing proceedings in various jurisdictions to enforce a US$2.6 billion judgment against the company’s former CEO. Asset freezing orders have been obtained in multiple jurisdictions to preserve assets pending completion of enforcement proceedings.
Pacific Andes Group
representing the directors of a Hong Kong and Singapore-listed fish trading and processing group in defending claims involving allegations of fraud and other misconduct and seeking damages of over US$700 million. Representation includes successfully discharging a Mareva injunction obtained over defendants’ assets.
The Grande Holdings Limited
representing the former provisional liquidators in recovery of their professional fees for restructuring a distressed Hong Kong-listed company.
- Successfully defending a client in an expedited arbitration under HKIAC rules relating to enforceability of a default interest clause and indemnity in a loan agreement.
- Obtaining interim relief, including asset freezing and disclosure orders in respect of various fraudulent schemes on behalf of a range of victims including individual, corporate and statutory authorities across the globe. Advising on associated civil proceedings for recovery and asset tracing.
- Advising a Belgian private equity fund in relation to a joint venture dispute involving their exit from the Hong Kong market and recovery of high-value assets.
- Representing a minority shareholder in a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute involving a statutory derivative action alleging unlawful conspiracy to injure.
- Represented a high net worth individual in a complex family trust dispute (value exceeding several billion USD)
- Represented a PRC company in HKIAC administered arbitration proceedings against a Korean company in respect of a contractual claim for supply of goods.
- Partner, Karas LLP, 2021
- Principal, Lipman Karas, 2017
- Partner, Gall, 2014
- Senior Associate, Pinsent Masons, 2007
- Lawyer, Minter Ellison, 2004
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Griffith University (2003)
- Bachelor of Arts in Asian and International Studies, Griffith University (2003)
- Graduate Diploma of Practical Legal Training, Griffith University (2004)
- Overseas Lawyers Qualification Examination, Hong Kong SAR (2007)
- Supreme Court of Queensland (2004)
- High Court and Hong Kong SAR (2008)
- Senior Courts of England and Wales (2012)