Herman Chan is an Associate of Karas LLP. He is a commercial litigator focused on complex cases and investigations involving fraud, corporate insolvency, financial services and professional negligence.
Herman has experience of investigating and litigating large-scale claims by liquidators of formerly listed companies relating to corporate financing (including on sponsor due diligence in an IPO and listing application) and financial reporting.
Apart from corporate insolvency work, Herman also advises on multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation relating to fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
Herman has solid financial analytical skills in insolvency investigations with his dual degrees in law and business administration. He is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Herman joined Lipman Karas (now Karas LLP) in 2018 from Allen & Overy.
Representing the liquidators of a former Hong Kong-listed metal recycling company, in a claim against a global financial institution for sponsor misconduct relating to the company’s initial public offering.
HK-Listed F&B Company
Representing the liquidators of a former Hong Kong-listed food and beverage trading company in an audit negligence claim against the company’s former auditors.
Pacific Andes Group
Representing the directors of a Hong Kong and Singapore-listed fish trading and processing group in defending against a claim alleging fraud and other misconduct and seeking damages of almost US$1 billion.
- Associate, Karas LLP, 2021
- Associate, Lipman Karas Hong Kong, 2019
- Legal Assistant (pending admission), Lipman Karas Hong Kong, 2018
- Trainee Solicitor, Allen & Overy, 2016
- The University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL), 2016
- The University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Laws (LLB), 2015
- The University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Business Administration (Law), 2013
- High Court of Hong Kong, January 2019