Maria On is a Senior Associate of Karas LLP. Maria has extensive experience in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes. She focuses on insolvency and fraud related matters.
Maria has significant trial and hearing experience, including representing clients at the Court of Final Appeal and in arbitration proceedings. Maria has also appeared as counsel in proceedings in New Zealand.
Over the course of her career, Maria has represented clients in cases involving professional negligence, fraud, shareholder disputes, breach of trust and fiduciary duties, dishonest assistance, conspiracy and disputes with regulatory bodies.
Maria is regarded for her case management skills and ability to quickly understand the details of a case.
Maria was admitted as a solicitor and barrister in New Zealand in 2012, and admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2015.
Represented the liquidators of a former Hong Kong-listed holding company of a group purporting to own extensive timber plantations in Mainland China, in an audit negligence claim seeking damages of over US$100 million.
Represented the trustee of a litigation trust created following the collapse and reorganisation of a former Canadian-listed company that purported to own forest assets in Mainland China, resulting in litigation in various jurisdictions against former directors, auditors and valuers.
- Represented an English company in arbitration for breaches of a joint venture agreement involving a WFOE operating in the PRC.
- Represented a major tenant of an industrial building in an arbitration against its landlord.
- Represented a party resisting enforcement of a SIAC arbitration award and appealing the enforcement proceedings in the Court of Appeal.
- Represented an international shipping company in resisting the discharge of a 21M injunction and appealing the discharge of the injunction in the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal.
- Represented various failed finance companies in professional negligence claims against solicitors, auditors, directors and a professional trustee company.
- Senior Associate, Karas LLP, 2021
- Senior Associate, Lipman Karas Hong Kong, 2019
- Associate, Lipman Karas Hong Kong, 2018
- Associate, Stephenson Harwood, 2014
- Solicitor, Chapman Tripp, 2011
- Master of Laws, University of Cambridge, 2011
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Victoria University of Wellington, 2010
- Bachelor of Commerce and Administration (Accounting and Finance), Victoria University of Wellington, 2010
- High Court of Hong Kong, 2015
- High Court of New Zealand, 2012