Raymond Shek is an Associate of Karas LLP. He specialises in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation, arbitration, and investigations.
Raymond has advised and represented clients in proceedings and investigations arising from corporate insolvencies, fraud, professional / audit negligence, shareholder disputes, anti-bribery and corruption matters, and construction disputes.
Raymond has experience in litigation, including various interlocutory and appellate proceedings before the High Court of Hong Kong, and the High Court of England and Wales (on secondment); and in arbitration, including various International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitral proceedings.
Raymond’s clients have included liquidators, multinational corporations, banks, private equity funds, and high net worth individuals.
Raymond is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
Raymond joined Lipman Karas (now Karas LLP) in 2020. Prior to that, he commenced his career with Herbert Smith Freehills in 2018.
Representing the liquidators of a former Hong Kong-listed metal recycling company, in a claim against a global financial institution for sponsor misconduct relating to the company’s initial public offering.
Representing a litigation trust created following the collapse and reorganisation of a former Canadian-listed company that purported to own forest assets in Mainland China, including pursuing litigation in various jurisdictions:
- Ontario proceedings against the main fraudster, the company’s former CEO, resulting in a US$2.6 billion judgment. Enforcement proceedings are on-going in various jurisdictions.
- Singapore proceedings against the valuer of the company’s forest assets, resulting in a settlement following a full trial.
- Hong Kong proceedings against the company’s auditors, which are on-going.
Recovery of funds
Representing an individual in the recovery of funds misappropriated in an investment scam.
High net worth individual
Represented (on secondment) a high net worth individual in a litigation for £18 million arising from the construction of a luxury estate in the High Court of England and Wales.
An investor consortium in an ICC arbitration
Represented an investor consortium in an ICC arbitration for US$1.7 billion arising from a shareholders’ agreement against the largest shareholder of a major Korean insurance company regarding the operation of a put option.
A sub-contractor in an ICC arbitration
Represented a sub-contractor in an ICC arbitration for US$56 million arising from a metropolitan rail project in the Middle-East.
International engineering firm
Represented an international engineering firm in an Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) investigation and an internal investigation in relation to anti-bribery and corruption issues.
Thai branch of an international oil and gas corporation
Represented the Thai branch of an international oil and gas corporation in an internal investigation in relation to tax issues.
Widow of a deceased HNW
Representing the widow of a deceased high-net-worth individual in relation to non-contentious probate matters in Hong Kong.
- Associate, Karas LLP, 2021
- Legal Assistant (pending admission), Lipman Karas, 2020
- Trainee Solicitor, Herbert Smith Freehills, 2018
- Master of Laws (LLM), London School of Economics and Political Science, 2018
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2017
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2016
- High Court of Hong Kong, January 2021