Simon Collier is an associate of Karas LLP. He has a broad range of experience in commercial litigation and arbitration with a focus on corporate insolvency, regulatory investigations, insurance and competition law. Simon has also recently been building his knowledge on the regulation of cryptocurrency.
Prior to moving to Hong Kong in 2019, Simon was a senior solicitor at Wilson Harle, New Zealand’s pre-eminent commercial litigation firm. As a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand, he also regularly appeared as junior counsel in the High Court of New Zealand.
In 2013, Simon graduated as the Senior Scholar of Law at the University of Auckland.
- Represented former liquidators in a professional negligence claim relating to the unsuccessful relisting of a company on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Represented a party in an expedited arbitration under HKIAC rules relating to the enforceability of a default interest clause and indemnity in a lending agreement.
- Represented Hong Kong industry regulators on a variety of contentious and non-contentious matters including applications for judicial review and proposed amendments to their regulatory codes.
- Represented and appeared as junior counsel for a New Zealand Crown Entity in a four week High Court trial relating to the claimant’s illegitimate claims for funding and inadequate record-keeping. See Trends Publishing International Limited v Callaghan Innovation  NZHC 907.
- Regularly advised and represented the New Zealand subsidiary of a global insurance broker on complex policy coverage issues and its potential liability for professional negligence.
- Represented Harcourts Group Limited in cartel proceedings brought by the New Zealand Commerce Commission against all major representatives in the real estate industry. See Commerce Commission v Barfoot & Thompson Ltd & Ors  NZHC 3111.
- Associate, Karas LLP (2021)
- Associate, Lipman Karas (2020)
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, Lipman Karas (2019)
- Senior Solicitor, Wilson Harle (2017)
- Solicitor, Wilson Harle (2015)
- Solicitor, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts (2013)
- Graduate, Minter Ellison Rudd Watts (2013)
- University of Auckland, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Commerce (2013)
- Hong Kong (2020), Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand (2013)